Food Through The Post! Dutch Delights

31 Jan

I’m on a roll…. three FoodiePenpals from abroad in a row!
I’ve had booty from beautiful Belgium and sensational stuff from Switzerland.
This month it was all happiness from Holland!

My chosen FoodiePenpal, Coja from The Netherlands, put a most delightful box together for me. Yes, the box too, not just what was inside, check out the decoration:
blogAnd what was inside certainly didn’t disappoint. Coja had taken the time to wrap everything up individually and attach instructions or details to each item. Almost too good to unwrap, look:
blog1My box was quite literally full of delights. Including:

• a box of dutch tea to drink with…
  • a bag of Stroopwafels
  • packets of nutmeg and sage
  • delicious herbal meat rubs
  • liquorice
  • anchovies
  • a dark red cabbage (yes really – through the post!)
  • and some quite lovely stylised food stickers

See:
blog2

And as I say Coja included some great recipe ideas for my new ingredients – taking into account the fact that I can’t cook so everything was really easy, which was very kind indeed! So there were handwritten notes for:

• Cinnamon Glazed Carrots
  • Meatballs
  • Hollandaise Sauce (the clue’s in the name)
  • Rode kool met appeltjes – an unctious appley way to make red cabbage and apparently a much loved side dish in Holland!
  • Green beans with almonds

Well needless to say the Stroopwafels have gone, in fact they lasted less than a day and I have decided that anyone who sends me a packet of these is a firm friend for life. Why don’t we sell this as standard in the UK? And yes they go beautifully with a cup of Dutch blend tea.

The cabbage has been served as described and I can confirm it is delicious and I’ve had a steak marinated in one of my lovely rubs. The stickers are yet to be allocated but I am saving them for something special…

Going Dutch really is delightful, who knew!? Thanks Coja.

More FoodiePenpals goodness next time – can’t wait. And if you can’t either then check out #foodiepenpals on Twitter for other posts. If you want your own FoodiePenpal full details can be found here – hosted by the UK representative This is Rock Salt.

Advertisements

9 Responses to “Food Through The Post! Dutch Delights”

1. Graham Lampen 31/01/2013 at 6:49 am #

Waitrose sell Stroopwaffles! The name has been Anglicised, but Tregoes butter toffee waffles are the same thing. Think Tesco may also do them.

Make a cup of coffee, then sit one on the top for a couple of minutes. If you can bear to wait that long, the caramel will start to melt and go all gooey.

You’re welcome!

• Alice Can't Cook 04/02/2013 at 12:04 pm #

Graham – I have heard about this warming up of the Stropwafels. I am so upset I didn’t do this. I have to now buy some more… I have never seen them in the UK but now I know where to get them from I shall never not buy them now. Thank you thank you. x

2. Luke (@Luke1972) 31/01/2013 at 7:57 pm #

Stroopwafels are AMAZING.

• Alice Can't Cook 04/02/2013 at 12:05 pm #

Oh they really are Luke. Can’t believe I had never tried them. Apparently you can get them all over and warm them up and everything. I shall be the size of a house!!!! X

3. Emma 31/01/2013 at 8:59 pm #

Brilliant box! Such a great variety!

• Coj@ (@anneck81) 01/02/2013 at 11:31 am #

thanx ^_^

• Alice Can't Cook 04/02/2013 at 12:06 pm #

Hi Emma, thanks for reading. Lovely wasn’t it? All sorts of different and yummy things, very pleased! X

4. Coj@ (@anneck81) 01/02/2013 at 11:30 am #

Thank you Alice for writing such a lovely post about the package i sent ❤
    Glad you liked the taste of the recipes! This is what I recieved: http://365dayssnailmail.blogspot.nl/2013/01/i-recieved-my-second-foodie-penpal.html

• Alice Can't Cook 04/02/2013 at 12:07 pm #

Thanks for being my FoodiePenpal Coja – as you can see your Stroopwafels have caused a bit of a stir 🙂 x

Can you help Alice?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w