Wooden Working Lunch

3 Sep

So last night I made up some chicken and pesto pasta to take into work with me today for lunch as a kind of economy drive (and I had some chicken in the fridge that needed using up).

Looked great last night, green and white and fresh. I was very excited about my home made lunch today after a long morning at work and a (not so long) work out at the gym… Had to beat a sandwich from Boots right?

This is what I pulled out to heat up today:
Wooden pasta and desiccated chicken.
I didn’t have time to go to Boots as had spent my lunch hour in the gym safe in the knowledge I had a tasty lunch ready and waiting for me back in the office…

The hard, dry, objects were hard to swallow. As was my lesson… don’t make things for your own lunch.
Big Sad Face.

9 Responses to “Wooden Working Lunch”

1. Dean Evans 03/09/2012 at 6:21 pm #

Very ‘autumny’

• Alice Can't Cook 09/09/2012 at 4:44 pm #

Hello Dean! Thanks for reading chum. Well Autumny is a nice way of putting it…. I’d say ‘brown’ x

2. Dan 03/09/2012 at 8:23 pm #

Pesto should be illegal. It tastes like dirt & looks like mould. Quite why you would choose to put it in your lunch is beyond me. That is all.

• Alice Can't Cook 09/09/2012 at 4:44 pm #

Oh Dan, pesto is quite nice usually, just not when being used by me obviously….

3. Claire 05/09/2012 at 3:12 pm #

Oh Alice, even by your standards that really does look disgusting. A personal thing, I think cold pasta should be outlawed it never looks good and always tastes worse.

• Alice Can't Cook 09/09/2012 at 4:45 pm #

Ha ha thanks Claire – yes it was a total shocker. Ruined my whole day. x

4. Jenny Eatwell 10/09/2012 at 8:30 pm #

This is where you discover that hot pasta is fairly disgusting the following day, even when heated back up. You see, it has a habit of absorbing every little bit of moisture it can find in its bedfellows. Hence the dessicated chicken. Don’t ask me what it does with said moisture, as it seems to convert it to dust, or ash, or something pretty darned dry, anyway.

Cooked pasta that is left bald and allowed to cool is a different matter. Throw in any old cooked veg plus salad veg and bits of cooked chicken – but take your dressing in a separate container and add it just before you tuck in.

The only exception to the “don’t heat pasta the second day” is something like bolognese, or lasagne (which gets better the next day). There’s something about the tomato sauce that seems to be immune to disappearing – and if it looks a bit dry, then a quick splosh of olive oil soon sorts it out.

• Alice Can't Cook 14/09/2012 at 6:47 pm #

Jenny – I love you for this thank you. So that explains the chicken – briliant! I won’t make the same mistake again. I thought that because you could reheat rice that pasta would be the same. I shall try it again but this time keeping the pasta and dressing apart until the next day.

• Jenny Eatwell 14/09/2012 at 7:48 pm #

Oh and it might be worth leaving the pasta al dente, because it also has a habit of turning into plasticene if there’s a lot of moisture around!

Can you help Alice?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s