New Year, New Omelette

4 Jan

Ok, I’ve not had a happy time with omelettes as you can see here and here. Poor, sad omelettes.

But I do like them, I do want to make them, and I do want to eat them. I won’t be beaten. The eggs will…

So here is a little update on my omelette practice.  I’ve taken on board comments about fillings and pans and the amount of eggs and the heat of the oil etc (so thanks for that everyone) and I think I have managed something ok:
I used more eggs, didn’t have the oil smoking hot, added the mushroom filling to the top of the mix and folded instead of flipping. It’s kind of worked. But there is a bit of breakage – as you can see the mushrooms coming out.
As the omelette cooked it seemed to become quite brittle so snapped when I folded it.
Is there a foolproof way of folding these things?

Still at least this looks edible. Not exploded.

Advertisements

8 Responses to “New Year, New Omelette”

1. Sam 04/01/2012 at 1:32 pm #

Ello darlin’
    Right, it may not be to everybody’s taste, but I’ve always tried to replicate the best omelette I was ever served: Laduree, Paris, 2007.
    3 large, very fresh eggs, poured into a well buttered (not oil – sorry if this is a diet thing) pan on lowest possible heat, and be patient.
    Let the egg form a base on the bottom (early on you can prod at it and make holes to see how far up it’s cooking, and let the uncooked egg fill those holes, no problem).
    When it’s about half cooked, throw on whatever you want as filling (preferably chopped pretty small, though that’s not essential), just not too much. Let it keep cooking over that very low heat.
    Now here’s the difference – though it doesn’t matter if you do, you don’t even need to brown it. You’re just cooking it through on one side, and because the temp is so low, you’ll have more control. You may even want to move various parts of the pan over the flame. If it’s going slow enough, it won’t rise.
    Once the egg is cooked through to your liking, slide the omelette out of the pan flat onto the plate, and roll it up like an english pancake (chefs probably roll it in the pan for all I know, but I’ve never been any good at rolling at the best of times). You’ll have a nice, scrambled egg & butter coloured variation on the crispy, cruelly breaking fold-jobs I was always coming up with before I started doing it this way.
    Hope all’s well, and your New Year is happy.
    S
    x

• Alice Can't Cook 08/01/2012 at 6:38 pm #

Sam, this sounds amazing! Thank you. What a fabulous description…. I’d love to be capable enough, who knows?

Thanks for reading xx

2. claire 04/01/2012 at 1:33 pm #

Alice, this looks like a perfect omelette to me, the contrast between the slightly crunchy outer and the soft and oozy inner is to be relished and enjoyed. I would have been very proud to make something that looks as good as this. How does it taste?

• Alice Can't Cook 08/01/2012 at 6:38 pm #

Thanks Claire! That’s lovely of you.
      Yes actually it did taste ok actually, the breakage didn’t matter! x

3. Bill 04/01/2012 at 4:07 pm #

We use all the left over bits of cheese from Christmas and the New Year. Italian blue cheeses make particularly wonderful flavours.

• Alice Can't Cook 08/01/2012 at 6:39 pm #

Bill! This sounds incredibly decadent! But also gorgeous, maybe not in January though….

Thanks for reading x

4. Jacqueline Bunn 07/01/2012 at 9:21 pm #

I think your omelette looks fine – practise so you cook it the way you and yours like it – underdone so it’s a bit soft, almost runny or American style, firm and set like a hard boiled egg… ish.
    IF you are challenged in the kitchen Alice you ain’t in front of a screen. Your blog is fabulous.
    J.

• Alice Can't Cook 08/01/2012 at 6:41 pm #

Ah thank you – am always a bit wary of runny omelettes but would love to trust enough and enjoy.

And thank you so much for reading, am glad you enjoy the blog. Its fun to write (not so much fun in the kitchen however…)
      xx

Can you help Alice?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w