Hounded Out Of The Kitchen!

28 Nov

I love my dog. I don’t always try to poison him with Toad In The Hole.

We often cook dishes just for him – my husband even goes so far as to buy double of treats like kippers, cheese, tins of sardines and legs of lamb to ensure the dog has a portion and when he makes sandwiches he always saves half for our pooch.

If he’s been a bit poorly we’ll sometimes get a full roasted chicken just for him.

The cheapest treat we can make him though and the one he loves the best is offal. Anything from the inside of an animal fried up.
(Which I know for many is a real treat for humans too but I have to confess I am unable to eat the stuff myself. My husband loves liver but refuses to let me cook it for him saying I don’t have a light enough touch with the frying pan!)

But I can’t really go wrong cooking for the dog and so often buy packs of liver, kidneys or hearts to cook up for the dog at the end of the day.

But I always regret it.

Not only does it smell, but it bleeds. It actually bleeds in the pan while I cook it.
And so I get scared and cook it even harder, so it smells worse. Then it spits fat and hot blood at me and hurts.

Then I am put off spending anymore time in the kitchen or cooking for anyone else. Or eating anything at all

But… in the interest of sharing I give you my dog’s boiling kidneys:
Enjoy!
He certainly did.

Advertisements

8 Responses to “Hounded Out Of The Kitchen!”

1. love poppy 28/11/2011 at 7:29 pm #

hahahaha.. oh my word woman !

2. @eyejewels 28/11/2011 at 8:56 pm #

Put a lid on it alice! Less smell and not so much spitting;-}

• Alice Can't Cook 29/11/2011 at 2:37 pm #

Hmmm, now why didn’t I think of that? Am going to use a pan with a lid from now on, thanks Julia. x

3. Laura Williams 28/11/2011 at 10:20 pm #

That actually makes me want to gag…

4. Rachel 29/11/2011 at 1:38 pm #

I never do this for my dog, but have been slightly inspired and it must be cheaper than sharing roast chicken with him! Going to give it a go this weekend!

• Alice Can't Cook 29/11/2011 at 2:38 pm #

Honestly Rachel, liver and kidneys etc are so cheap and its well worth doing. Nice for the little chaps! x

5. Jenny Eatwell 16/12/2011 at 5:32 pm #

I used, in days gone by, to buy a breast of lamb for my lurcher. After a short burst in a hot oven it not only smelled fabulous, but she enjoyed chomping her way through it, too. Of course, in those days, you could get a breast of lamb for around £1.50. It would probably be ten times that, these days.

Can you help Alice?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s